With the return of chilly days, please be sure to dress your children for the weather. We like to play and eat outside whenever possible, so don’t forget jackets, hats, and gloves as the temperatures drop. A few uniform reminders for colder weather:
- Leggings must be navy, snug-fitting, ankle-length, and NOT worn with skorts.
- Boots must be flat-bottomed, with a rubber sole, suitable for running and playing. (Sorry, no cowboy boots.)
- All fleeces, vests and sweaters worn inside the building during the school day must contain the Rivendell logo. Non-uniform outerwear may not be worn inside the building.
With winter comes the chance of snow and questions about delays and school closings. As a reminder, when Arlington County closes school for snow, we, too, are closed. When the County has a 2 hour delay, we generally open on time. However, in the past, there have been rare situations in which Arlington issued a 2 hour delay but we thought it unsafe to open. Because unexpected things can happen, we ask that you always check our website (www.rivendellschool.net) when there is a question about our opening, particularly when Arlington County has a delay. Our intent is to post our emergency information as near to 6:00 am as possible and no later than 7:00 am. If nothing is posted, you can assume that we are open for business as usual.
Just a reminder to be sure you’ve entered your parent hours to date. You should include your time spent assisting teachers preparing for Fall Festival. Alas, time spent enjoying the festival does not count for hours, but it does count toward investment of time in your children! If you need help logging hours, use the link on our Parents page.
If you’re looking for ways to help, check out the Core Hours sign-ups. We have a Morning Drop Off spot and a few recess spots to fill. Susie Spitler is in need of a parent to volunteer in her classroom every other Thursday afternoon (Nov. 1, Nov. 15, and so on) from 1:00-3:00 pm. You do not need to have a child in the kindergarten class to volunteer. Please contact Susie (email@example.com) or stop by her classroom if interested. If you cannot commit to every other Thursday but find yourself thinking "What can I do on this particular Thursday afternoon?" please consider checking in with Susie to see if it's a Thursday where she could use a hand. Thanks to all who have signed up. For more information or questions about Parent Involvement, contact Carmita Sequeira or Sara Costa.
We are excited to announce that you can now give online to the Annual Fund through PayPal. Please visit the Give to Rivendell page for the link.
How can technology help you stay up-to-date with what's going on at Rivendell? There are some go-to places on the website, as well as an app that can simplify your life (a directory at your fingertips...entering parent hours with a few touches...). View these slides shown at Back to School Night to learn more.
Need to learn or refresh your memory of our school practices and guidelines? Find our Handbook online on our Parents page. Need to know the phone number, address, or email address of a fellow parent? Directory information may be accessed anytime on our ParentsWeb. Also, a printed copy of our abbreviated Handbook and Directory was distributed at Back to School Night. Additional copies may be purchased in the office for $5 each.
One of the many ways Rivendell earns additional funds is through the Box Tops for Education program. Recent earnings have been more than $500! Please submit any cardboard Box Tops and Bonus Certificates in zip-lock bags to the Office. There are five ways to earn Box Tops:
1. Cut out un-expired cardboard Box Tops on General Mills, Kleenex and Ziploc products, collect them in a Ziploc bag, and drop off at the Office. Get students involved in spotting them and cutting them out!
2. Collect Bonus Box Tops certificates (include in Ziploc bag with regular Box Tops). Here’s where to find Bonus Certificates:
- In stores during special promotions
- On specially-marked packages
- At checkout, printed on your receipt
3. If you receive a 14-digit Bonus Box Tops code at checkout or on a package, redeem it at the following link to be added to Rivendell’s account (you will have to create an account the first time): http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/redeem-eboxtops Rivendell’s school ID is 583472.
4. Download and use the “Box Tops Bonus App” when you purchase General Mills or other participating brand products.
5. Link your Safeway “just for U” card to Rivendell in your account: https://www.safeway.com/boxtops
Katherine Taylor is the coordinator for Rivendell. Please feel free to contact her at katherinetaylor05@ gmail.com with any questions. Thank you!
Parents gather in the the third floor teacher office every Wednesday at 9:00 am to pray for concerns within our community. This ministry to our community may be the most significant (and most unappreciated) work we do on behalf of our children and our community. Please make an effort to join, if even for only a few minutes. All are welcome, and younger siblings are also welcome.
This year both pick-up and drop-off will be on Kentucky Street. Enter the line by turning from Lee Highway onto Kensington Street. Turn right onto 24th St. and right onto Kentucky St. Be sure to avoid blocking driveways and intersections during afternoon pick-up. This is courteous to our neighbors and required by Arlington County Code.
Please review – and encourage whoever picks up your children to review – our Drop-off and Pick-up guidelines, linked on our Parents page of the website. We also encourage you to arrange a carpool, if possible, so take a look at the map of our families, also linked on our Parents page. And always, drive carefully in the neighborhood. We want to be good neighbors.