How can technology help you stay up-to-date with what's going on at Rivendell? There are some go-to places on the website, as well as an app that can simplify your life (a directory at your fingertips...entering parent hours with a few touches...). View these slides shown at Back to School Night to learn more.
Family, friends, and alumni are encouraged to come to Rivendell’s Fall Festival Thursday, October 26, beginning at 2:00 pm. It is a time filled with activities that showcase what the children have done during their unit studies. From 5-5:30 pm we all chip in to clean up. And remember, no school on Friday, October 27!
Because parents are able to drive on field trips, we are able to take many more trips than if we rented buses. However, our insurance requires that each year every parent driver must submit a copy of his or her current DMV record, and a copy of his or her driver’s license and insurance information. Steps for accessing the VA DMV website are posted under “Other Forms” on the Parents page of our website.
Prepare now by collecting the needed items and turning them in to the Office. We would love to have all driving parents approved by Back to School Night (September 26) or, if you’re driving on a field trip this month, at least 3 days prior to the scheduled field trip.
Please also note that our insurance carrier does not allow parents to drive children (other than their own) on field trips if their point balance is –5, or lower. In other words, you must have -4,-3,-2, on up to be allowed to drive for a field trip. If your point balance does not allow you to drive, you are still welcome to ride along as a chaperone for field trips. We cannot make exceptions for parents to drive if we do not have their up-to-date information, or if their driving record does not meet our insurance carrier’s requirements. Receipts for parking and tolls may be submitted to teachers for reimbursement. Thank you for driving our children as they explore God’s world.
Need to learn or refresh your memory of our school practices and guidelines? Find our Handbook online on our Parents page. Need to know the phone number, address, or email address of a fellow parent? Directory information may be accessed anytime on our ParentsWeb. Also, a printed copy of our abbreviated Handbook and Directory was distributed at Back to School Night. Additional copies may be purchased in the office for $5 each.
How would you like to turn your Starbucks latte or your Safeway or Target weekly shopping into a donation to Rivendell without paying 1 extra penny?Here is how…Shop with Scrip!
Shop with Scrip is a gift card purchase program where you purchase gift cards at FACE value and Rivendell receives a percentage of the purchase. Orders are made online at www.shopwithscrip.com. It’s a Win-Win situation – you get some shopping done while blessing our school! The money raised will go to the PTA fund, which is used by our teachers each year to purchase improvements for our classrooms and buildings. You can purchase cards for everyday shopping like grocery stores, Amazon, Lands’ End, Target, Starbucks, etc. Just do the following:
- Go to www.shopwithscrip.com and click on register.
- Click the option to Join a Scrip Program.
- Enter the following enrollment code for Rivendell: F42L6BCL45981.
- Create an account.
- Enable Presto Pay to pay with your checking account online and follow instructions. (or you can order by check but expect 3-4 weeks for processing).
- Start shopping!!
- Download the new MyScripWallet app to quickly manage and reload existing cards.
Contact Becky Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
One of the many ways Rivendell earns additional funds is through the Box Tops for Education program. Recent earnings have been more than $500! Please submit any cardboard Box Tops and Bonus Certificates in zip-lock bags to the Office by Friday, October 21 so we can meet the fall submission deadline. (And please keep bringing them to the Office throughout the year for a spring submission). There are five ways to earn Box Tops:
1. Cut out un-expired cardboard Box Tops on General Mills, Kleenex and Zip-lock products, collect them into a zip-lock bag, and drop off at the Office. Get students involved in spotting them and cutting them out!
2. Collect Bonus Box Tops certificates (include in zip-lock bag with regular Box Tops). Here’s where to find Bonus Certificates:
- In stores during special promotions
- On specially-marked packages
- At checkout, printed on your receipt
3. If you receive a 14-digit Bonus Box Tops code at checkout or on a package, redeem it at the following link to be added to Rivendell’s account (you will have to create an account the first time): http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/redeem-eboxtops Rivendell’s school ID is 583472.
4. Download and use the “Box Tops Bonus App” when you purchase General Mills or other participating brand products.
5. Link your Safeway “just for U” card to Rivendell in your account: https://www.safeway.com/boxtops
Katherine Taylor is the new coordinator for Rivendell this fall. Please feel free to contact her at katherinetaylor05@ gmail.com with any questions. Thank you!
Parents gather in the Chapel every Wednesday at 9:00 am to pray for concerns within our community. This ministry to our community may be the most significant (and most unappreciated) work we do on behalf of our children and our community. Please make an effort to join, if even for only a few minutes. All are welcome, and younger siblings are also welcome.
Thank you to all parents who have taken care to avoid blocking driveways and intersections during afternoon pick-up. Remember, this is not only courteous to our neighbors, it is required by Arlington County Code. Please do not allow traffic to back up onto Lee Highway. If necessary, cautiously drive around stopped cars on Kensington Street, park your car, and walk with your child.
Please review – and encourage whoever picks up your children to review – our Drop-off and Pick-up guidelines, linked on our Parents page of the website. We also encourage you to arrange a carpool, if possible, so take a look at the map of our families, also linked on our Parents page. And always, drive carefully in the neighborhood. We want to be good neighbors.